Anabolic Steroids a Group of Synthetic Hormones
Abusing anabolic steroids is quite different than abusing illegal drugs and substances. Abusing steroids is not initially started due to euphoria or high's an individual is looking to achieve. Most drugs like heroin, cocaine and marijuana are abused for those reasons.
Steroids are used to make the individual feel better about them self on a physical and emotional level among other reasons. Anabolic Steroids are generally abused by taking them orally or injecting them.
Evidence shows that even though there are major physical and emotional problems associated with steroid abuse, the user continues abusing them. When a person continues abusing a drug or substance even though they're proven to be unhealthy and sometimes lethal they are showing addiction tendencies. This leads one to believe anabolic steroids can be addictive.
Anabolic steroids are generally abused to enhance a person's performance or appearance. These steroids are man-made versions of the natural male hormone testosterone. The word Anabolic means muscle-building. Anabolic Androgenic Steroids are sometimes legally prescribed in treating delayed puberty which is due to steroid hormone deficiency. Steroids are definitely dangerous and when they're abused can cause severe health problems, some that are irreversible.
Watch this news report about powerlifting and strong man competitor Patrick Antonecchia whom has severe kidney damage from years of using Anabolic Steroids to help enhance his performance.
Steroids are abused mainly to make the person stronger in appearance and to physically perform better. Many athletes have abused steroids as we have all heard on the news in the past several years. There are plenty of men as well as women who aren't athletic and into sports that abuse steroids also. They may abuse steroids for the same reasons but aren't competing in sports.
Some people take steroids every day but most people take them in cycles. This is called 'cycling'. These cycles stop after a certain period of time and then restart again later. Some steroid users take them for several weeks at a time while others take them for months at a time then stop. There are several types of steroids and some people take several kinds in order to get the maximum affects, this is referred to as 'stacking'.
Anabolic Steroid Withdrawal Symptoms
When an individual stops abusing steroids especially if they're abused over a period of time, they risk withdrawal. Some of the symptoms of steroid withdrawal can continue for a year or more if the symptoms go untreated. Symptoms associated with steroid abuse include:
- Decreased appetite
- Decreased sex drive
- Tiredness and fatigue
- Cravings for the drug
- Hormonal system problems
- Anabolic Steroid dangerous risks
- Mood swings
- Suicide attempts
- Severe depression
- Problems sleeping
When steroids are abused there are many risks involved. Medical problems occur with chronic steroid abuse and can lead to:
- Menstrual cycle problems
- Testicle shrinking in men
- Facial hair growth in women
- Serious psychiatric problems
- Stunted growth in adolescents
- Clitoris can increase in size
- Increased risk of prostate cancer
- Decreased sperm count and infertility
- Breast development in men and baldness
- Heart attacks
- Kidney failure
- Baldness in men
- Hepatitis B and C
- Tumors in the liver
- Early heart attacks
- Deepened voice in women
Mental Health and Steroid Use
Studies have shown that steroids may contribute to psychiatric dysfunction. Research also shows anabolic steroids can lead to aggressive behavior. Mood swings can occur as well as manic symptoms that may lead to violent behavior. Steroid users can suffer with paranoid jealousy, severe irritability, delusions, and feelings of invincibility.
Treatment for Steroid Abuse
Medications like antidepressants sometimes are necessary for the individual going through steroid withdrawal because of the severe depression many suffer. Other medications may be necessary to restore the hormonal system that abusing steroids can cause. Behavioral Therapy for many steroid users is necessary for some people especially chronic steroid users. Many people start abusing steroids because of the way they feel about their appearance to begin with. These individuals need to be 'OK' with them self physically and emotionally without the need of steroid enhancement and Behavioral Therapy reinforces that.
Anabolic Steroids Detox and Treatment
For Anabolic Steroids Addiction Help Call 1-800-591-6474 24 Hours a Day
- Alaska Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Alabama Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Arkansas Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Arizona Anabolic Steroids Detox
- California Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Florida Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Georgia Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Illinois Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Indiana Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Kansas Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Kentucky Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Maryland Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Michigan Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Missouri Anabolic Steroids Detox
- North Carolina Anabolic Steroids Detox
- New Jersey Anabolic Steroids Detox
- New Mexico Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Nevada Anabolic Steroids Detox
- New York Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Oklahoma Anabolic Steroids Detox
- South Carolina Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Texas Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Utah Anabolic Steroids Detox
- Virginia Anabolic Steroids Detox