Dextromethorphan an Antitussive Drug
Dextromethorphan is an over the counter (OTC) cough suppressant and is also referred to as DXM. DXM is found in many cold medications and is also very common anymore to be abused. This drug found in Robitussin and Coricidin cough and cold medications which are very successful in reducing the miserable symptoms associated with the common cold.
There are over 120 over the counter cold medications that contain Dextromethorphan either by itself or in combinations of other drugs like acetaminophen, antihistamines, decongestants, and expectorants. Dextromethorphan is a white powder and is available most of the time in tablet form, capsule and liquid form. DXM also comes in a lozenge form as is taken by mouth. Unfortunately this isn't the only use for medications containing DXM now-a-days.
DXM is a synthetic man-made substance that is related chemically to codeine. It has taken the place of codeine and throughout the United States, is the most widely used. There are street names given to DXM (Dextromethorphan) by those who abuse this substance which include; DM, Velvet, Rojo and Robo.
There are also names given to reference the intoxication of DXM users which include: Dexing, Robo tripping and Skittling.
People of all ages abuse dextromethorphan but the younger generation is primarily the age group that most commonly abuses DXM for the euphoric and distorted 'trip' high doses can generate.
This video provides facts about Dextromethorphan and it's side effects.
Dextromethorphan or DXM abuse
Most of the time dextromethorphan is ingested orally but some people snort the pure powder. Depending upon how much DXM is abused at a time will determine the extent and intensity of the hallucinogenic high the drug user will experience. DXM users describe several plateaus' that occur depending on the amount of drug that's abused and the weight of the individual abusing DXM. Many users have this down to a fine science and know just how much to abuse in order to reach the plateau they desire. The plateaus' are as follows:
- Plateau 1: Mild inebriation
- Plateau 2: This can be compared to alcohol intoxication along with mild hallucinations. Slurred speech and memory can be impaired.
- Plateau 3: State of consciousness is altered and the user's vision and other senses can be impaired.
- Plateau 4: Out of body experiences. The user loses some or all of their senses and body awareness.
There are many websites throughout the World Wide Web that actually promote the abuse of DXM and actually go into detail telling an individual how to do it. Dextromethorphan is also widely available so it's easy to be obtained. There are also websites out there that illegally sell DXM powder which is very dangerous because you don't know what you're really getting. It could be mixed with any toxic chemicals and the DXM user would never know until it was too late. This is very serious and dangerous.
Why is Dextromethorphan (DXM) Abused?
Individuals that abuse DXM do it for the hallucinations that are generated when using it in high doses. They experience intense euphoria along with mental, visual, audio and physical delusional experiences. All of their senses are heightened but not in a healthy way. Many times these delusional hallucinations are extremely scary and produce paranoia.
DXM Withdrawal Symptoms
If an individual abuses dextromethorphan and they stop abruptly withdrawal symptoms may include: insomnia, dysphoria (restless, anxious, and fidgety) and depression.
DXM overdose symptoms
- Impaired vision
- Breathing difficulties
- Fast heartbeat
According to the DAWN report which is the Drug Abuse Warning Network in 2004 there were around 16,858 emergency room visits involving Dextromethorphan (DXM).
Dextromethorphan Detox and Treatment
For Dextromethorphan Addiction Help Call 1-800-807-0951 24 Hours a Day
- Alaska Dextromethorphan Detox
- Alabama Dextromethorphan Detox
- Arkansas Dextromethorphan Detox
- Arizona Dextromethorphan Detox
- California Dextromethorphan Detox
- Colorado Dextromethorphan Detox
- Florida Dextromethorphan Detox
- Georgia Dextromethorphan Detox
- Illinois Dextromethorphan Detox
- Indiana Dextromethorphan Detox
- Kansas Dextromethorphan Detox
- Kentucky Dextromethorphan Detox
- Maryland Dextromethorphan Detox
- Michigan Dextromethorphan Detox
- Missouri Dextromethorphan Detox
- North Carolina Dextromethorphan Detox
- New Jersey Dextromethorphan Detox
- New Mexico Dextromethorphan Detox
- Nevada Dextromethorphan Detox
- New York Dextromethorphan Detox
- Oklahoma Dextromethorphan Detox
- South Carolina Dextromethorphan Detox
- Texas Dextromethorphan Detox
- Utah Dextromethorphan Detox
- Virginia Dextromethorphan Detox