More and more people are misusing oxycontin every day and are in need of help for their addiction. OxyContin is a prescription narcotic pain reliever that was approved in 1995 by the FDA for the treatment of pain. The main active ingredient in oxycontin is oxycodone which is a derivative of opium and very addictive when misused.
Most people don't realize just how addictive oxycontin is, they think because it's a prescribed pain medication it's much safer than using illegal drugs to get high but in a short period of time, they realize just how addictive the narcotic is. Another reason oxycontin is widely abused is because it's easy to come by. Narcotic painkillers can be found easily on the streets or found online from illegal pharmacies.
Oxycontin is designed to release slowly and is prescribed for patients that need pain management around the clock but when a person chooses to take it for the purpose of getting high, they don't take the medication as directed. Unfortunately people have learned that if they crush, dissolve or chew oxycontin they can get around the timed released formula to reach the euphoric high they're looking to achieve.
Not everyone that overdoses on Oxycontin or other painkillers is addicted to them. Many people use pain pills to get high just not all the time. An accidental overdose doesn't just happen to people that are dependent on them, mixing these drugs or using high levels can lead to an overdose and possible death at any time to anyone.
When you tamper with oxycontin by getting around the controlled release feature, very high levels of oxycodone are released at one time. Not only is it addictive, many people have overdosed or died because of it. Mixing alcohol or other substances with oxycontin just makes the drug even more lethal and many people have lost their lives this way, Heath Ledger unfortunately did.
Many other people have accidentally died misusing oxycontin and you just wish that anyone using these pain pills to get high would understand that just because they're not illegal drugs they're deadly when misused. A few people you may have heard of that have lost their lives due to oxycontin include:
- Derek Boogaard was an ice hockey player that died from mixing oxycodone and alcohol.
- Adam Goldstein was a DJ that died when swallowing 8 oxycontin pills.
- Andrew Martin was a Canadian professional wrestler that died from an accidental overdose of oxycodone.
- Sherri Russell (Sherri Martel) was an American professional wrestler that died of an accidental overdose with multiple drugs as well as high levels of oxycodone in her system.
- James Owen Sullivan was an American musician, he was known also a drummer in a heavy metal band called Avenged Sevenfold. Known as The Rev, James died from a combination of drugs which included oxycontin (oxycodone).
- Gertrude Elizabeth Wilkerson was also known as Luna Vachon. Gertrude was a professional wrestler that died from an accidental overdose of oxycodone and other drugs.
A new formulation of the painkiller Oxycontin has been developed in hopes of preventing high levels of oxycodone being immediately released when tampered with. Hopefully this will save some people from an accidental overdose but it doesn't stop people from combining drugs that can lead to death.
I realize that not everyone is financially capable of entering a treatment center for their addiction to painkillers like oxycontin but there are other options available to help with abstinence and recovery. Narcotics Anonymous is one option and it doesn't cost a dime.
Most people that use drugs to get high don't think they'll become addicted and they never think an overdose will happen to them but it can, it happens every day. The sad thing is that the people that it's happening to are getting younger and younger. For those who need a more structured form of treatment for addiction call 1-800-559-9503 and get help now, before it's too late.